Saturday, January 10, 2015

No Jumping in Winter Running

The winter runner, I am, no doubt.  I prefer to run in the freezing cold wind over any other outdoor element.  Why?  I don't need to stop for water, and I can go on for hours and hours.

The only thing that stops me is not layering properly.

So, I thought I'd share what I wear... Now, since I've made a lot of gear mistakes from cotton underwear to iTouch friendly gloves.   Now I'm quite quintessential in the art as the cold runnist.

How does she do it?

First of all, I'd share what I've seen as the best geared out there.  This is a runner from my running club.  What she has geared up with is pretty cool.  I haven't been able to match it.

With the Lululemon beanie to the adjustable convenient face scarf, almost as good as the gortex jacket.

Picture perfect...

Regardless, this picture is great, the look tells all, that winter running is a lot of fun if you are geared right.







My Set Up

I'll start from the toes up, because the shoes are most important.   Comfortable shoes will enable you to get the relaxed right footing, and the right footing will reduce the injuries endured.

Feet

My favorite socks are tight, slighting puffy and super light.   The socks I continually wear over and over are the WrightSock Running II Crew.

These socks keep my feet well formed and just as long as I have the right shoes, then I can run happy without toes goes super numb.

The shoes that I wear just have to be Gortex shoes.  I am not sure whether Gortex shoes help the feet stay warm, or just add a little protection from kicking snow, regardless, my feet are absolutely fine running in them at any cold, wind, snow, ice.  Gortex for the Vortex.

The shoes I have now with exceptional cushioning for the cold is the Asics Gel-Cumulus 16 G-TX.  I've been able to run through previous shoe state injuries.  I've managed major mileage in these shoes, leaving my feet feeling absolutely fine.

Legs

For my legs, I just make sure, from experience, to have two essentials - thermal underwear and windbreakers.   I am waiting for electric underwear to come out.  I am not going to get into detail about the brand of underwear that I wear, makes me uncomfortable.  All I can say, thermal.

The windbreakers are a winter saver.  I wear the Saucony windbreakers, which have proven perfect.  I can't find the exact model on the internet that I purchased - I picked them up from the Running Room and there are many choices.  I just make sure they are windbreakers, I can layer up so I do not need anything super winter thick.

I do wear a layer underneath the windbreakers.  Ever heard of KcKinley?  I found them on a huge sale.  I really don't care what the under layer is just as long as it is lightweight and thin.




Lungs


Triple threat, which is a regular old race shirt, we all have plenty, along with a long sleeve old race shirt or an official layer and all covered up finally with the windbreaker jacket.   My preference, the jacket does not have to be Gortex or super warm and protective, it just has to be an official windbreaker... and it has to be lightweight.

I currently wear a Saucony jacket, but I can't find it on the internet to show you. The styles change to quickly to track a good one.  I guess because to overcome limitations of one element, a new style will redirect attention to other elements in a jacket.  There is no perfect jacket, but just as long as I have a windbreaker, I'm set for winter running.

Head Gear


A balaclava is essential for winter running.   Actually, it is therapeutic to wear a balaclava in the winter.  All of that breathing exhaled inside this gear flows throughout the face, leaving the skin sparkling and refreshed.   Balaclava's should be provided at ever Spa during the winter!!!

I like to add on a winter hat just to keep the heat in.  I range from wearing the legendary Tannenbaum 10k Toque to wearing a Broncos Fan beanie...  It doesn't matter what is on top, just as long as it stays on at the break of the winter wind.

Hands


Oh yeah, the gloves.  I've tried them all, since they are a lot cheaper than other gear, I find I tend to do a lot of exploring.  The best I've worn for gloves so far I picked up last minute at a surplus store for five dollars.    Sorry, I am breaking the current trends of being trendy.  I need warm hands and I'm sorry, there just is not a lightweight cool looking glove out there I love.

No Jumping



There you have it, pretty basic and simple.  There is no need for a lot of gear and it doesn't have to cost a lot.  Layer up, stay comfortable, the lighter the gear combination, the better the feel for winter.

Just one small note... if your runway gets icy, remember, slow down and do not reach if you slip.  If you slip, keep your mind focused on the center of gravity beneath you.  Don't kick your leg out...

There ain't no jumping in winter running!

























No comments:

Post a Comment